Your true identity is rooted and sealed into God’s identity.
One of the worst things you can ever do to yourself is to ask people or the world about who you are.
“Can you tell me what you think of me? Give me one word to describe me. Tell me one thing you like about me, etc.” Many of us are constantly looking to the people around us, social media people and the world as a whole for our identity.
If you are ever going to ask such questions, be sure to know who you are first so you don’t begin to think they are correct in their opinion and judgment of you.
Jesus did something similar in the Bible (Matthew 16:13-20)
He asked his disciples, “Who do people say I am and who do you say I am?” Various answers and opinions were said. But only Peter said the correct identity of Jesus.
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven (Matt 16:16-17)
How did Jesus know that Peter’s response was correct? Because Jesus knows WHO he is.
You’ve got to know you before you go around asking questions (If you must ask).
Because you can count on people to give you an identity.
In fact, the word “identity” doesn’t qualify what people give you, rather they give you “A LABEL.”
Yes, because a label is superficial and many of these people don’t know you, so they give you a “label” based on what they “think or see or feel” about you.
Many people said Jesus was a prophet, Elijah, Jeremiah, John the Baptist, etc. They labeled him based on their prior experience, based on what they think. Not based on the truth. Because they didn’t truly know him nor his father (God).
Unfortunately, you are also not qualified to identify yourself. Because it is possible to have a distorted view of yourself.
The only one who is qualified to ACCURATELY identity you is God. Because he created you. You are created in his image.
Your true identity is rooted in God’s identity (Who God is).
You want to know who you are?
Then you’ve gotta KNOW GOD.
Because you will only know you when you know God.
Let me share with you some of your identity
- God is a Father (Abba) = You are His Child (Son/Daughter) (Rom 8:14 -17, 2 Cor 6: 18, Gal 4: 4 -5, John 1:12)
- God is the King of all kings = You are a Prince/Princess (A heir of God’s glory (Rom 8: 17).
- You are a chosen person, a royal priesthood, a holy nation & God’s special possession (1 Peter 2:9)
- God is righteous = You are the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus (Psalm 11:7, 2 Cor 5:21)
- God is love = You are a loved (John 3:16, 1 John 4:7-21)
- God’s love casts out fear = You are fearless because you are loved (1John 4:18)
- God lives in you = You are the temple of God (1 Cor 6: 19)
- God is a Spirit = You are a spiritual being having an earthly experience (John 4:24)
- Jesus is the head/husband of the church = You are his bride (Ephesians 5:23)
- Jesus is the vine, God is the gardener = You are a branch whose life flourishes in the vine (John 15).
- Jesus is the light of the world = You are also the light of the world because he lives in you (John 8:12, Mat 5:14, Eph 5:8-9, Gal 2: 20)
- God is a creator = You are his creation, God’s masterpiece. (Ephesians 2: 10)
I could continue but honestly where’s the fun in that?
You need to go into the Bible yourself and find out more about Who God is and Who he says you are.
Your identity in God is permanent and isn’t fickle like labels. So don’t label yourself based on your circumstances. Because labels, though they might be fickle they are very powerful because there’s power in the tongue. When you call yourself bad labels and names, you are countering your identity in God. And when you accept the labels that have been spoken into your life without refuting them, you will soon begin to accept and gravitate towards those labels.
Drop every negative label.
Know who you truly are.
You are Eternally Loved