So on a previous post, we talked about the importance of being a part of a local church. (Click here to read). Then I realized that someone might be asking, how do I find the right local church?
So I am going to give you two (2) personal tips on finding a Local church. And what to do after finding one.
Yes! Pray. I can feel you rolling your eyes. Roll them all you want but, prayer stays as number one. Honestly, though, we must begin every single decision we make by asking God for guidance and wisdom. And finding the right local church is worth praying about. This group of Christians will become your small spiritual family and it’s important you are in the midst of the right set of people who can help you grow and vice-versa. So, ask the Holy Spirit to lead you to the right local church.
2. DO YOUR RESEARCH
Now you may say, “This is not a job search. Why do research on churches?” I know.
But if you (at least I suppose you do) take time to search for a job, research the company’s culture, organization, vision, employee management and treatment, etc., because you want to be in the right company for professional growth and among the right co-workers, how much more should you do a research on a potential local church that’s going to influence and shape your spiritual life?
So yeah, do your homework and research local churches around your residence.
Few ways to do your research?
- Social Media: Thank God for social media. It has some good uses after all and many local churches have a social media platform nowadays. So start from there. Look at a couple of posts and read. Though only the highlights are shown on social media, it’s a start to get an idea of the local church.
- Visit the Church’s website: Read about the vision and mission of the church. Does it align with your life’s vision, do you feel peace in your spirit about the church’s culture and most importantly does it align with Jesus’s mission to the church as a whole (Matthew 28: 19-20).
- Read reviews on Google.
- Check out sermons on YouTube or listen to podcasts and other online resources the local Church has to get a sample taste of what you will be receiving every Sunday.
- Visit the local church: Yes, show up there. All the previously listed tips are done on your computer virtually. If you have the time, visit the church. That’s the best way to get a real life experience of the church. You can plan your time and visit maybe 3 churches in a day (Thank God for different service times now. Halleluyah).
P.S. While you are doing these researches, you ought to continue praying and asking the Holy Spirit to help you discern and choose the right local church. Begin and end with prayer.
All these might seem like a lot but darling, it’s not. It’s worth it.
WHAT TO DO AFTER FINDING YOUR LOCAL CHURCH
Yay! You found your new local church. Sweet!
Now let’s get involved.
Yes, you heard me. GET INVOLVED.
It’s not enough to just go to church every Sunday, praise, sit, get the word and leave. That’s okay. But we can do more and that is where the building of relationships, fellowship and accountability begins.
Find a department or ministry in your local church that you are interested in or has an opening and JOIN.
Get involved in organized events and activities in the local church. Be an ACTIVE part and vessel in your local church.
So, darling, either you’ve been away from the local church for a while or this is going to be your first time being a part of a local church, I really hope these tips help you.
3. Get involved (after you find a local church).
You are Eternally Loved.